On His Heels

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Racket

My friend Joel threw out a topic for future discussions: racket. We were talking about a friend who constantly complains about not having any money. He's always in a financial bind. You ask him to go somewhere and his reply is "I don't have the money to do that." Joel commented that that was his racket, kind of a way of life he's talked himself into so that he doesn't have to do anything about his problem. I guess another way I'd say it is "the noise we create so that we don't have to face the truth."

I've got some racket of my own. I always say "I've made a lot of mistakes with my money" (and I'm still making them) or "My finances are crappy." Every time Joel calls I tell him this. He must be tired of my racket. I could stick to my budget and pay off my debt and move on with life. But I like the racket!

I'm too busy...more racket. I've been saying this since I began working with Gary way back in '96. Once again, I don't want to do anything about it. I like the racket!

One more: I want to go into full-time ministry. Can I have an Amen on this racket? If you know me, this noise has been around for most of my adult life and yet I haven't done a proactive thing about it.

I guess racket's good when you haven't got another song.

3 Comments:

  • wow...you are a really faithful blogger...such a fine young man too I might add! A New Kind of Christian my friend??? You seriously need to rethink that...there is only one kind of Christian...that is one that seeks the OLD PATHS my brother. I miss you man! Are you going to see Rob Bell on his tour? I have an extra ticket...haha...(i really do).

    By Blogger Garrett, at 1:08 AM  

  • Alan I discovered your blog from JD's list. I thought I would say hi and that I appreciate your writing. I see that you frequent some places that I do as well.

    If you get a chance drop by my blog at http://stoned-campbelldisciple.blogspot.com/

    Shalom,
    Bobby Valentine

    By Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple, at 8:43 AM  

  • Don't expose our rackets - then we might actually have to face the truths about ourselves! Yuck!

    Thanks for the boldness.

    By Blogger Greg, at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home